Our adoption process is designed to ensure we make the right match for the animals in our care and the people who are adding a new family member to their home. Prospective adopters meet with an adoption counselor and discuss their lifestyle and interests. The adoption counselor will then match that information with an animal’s social, exercise and training needs.
Each situation, adopter and animal requires a different approach. And while we reserve the right to deny an adoption, we make every effort to work with you to address concerns or find the most appropriate match for you. Please plan on spending at least one hour for adoption counseling and another ½ hour for the actual adoption. We are confident that this small investment of time will be well worth the hours of enjoyment that your new family member will bring you.
When you decide you are ready to adopt an animal from WCHS, and you are at least 18 years of age, the following takes place:
- You come into the shelter and fill out an application in person, or download application below and email, mail in or bring with you.
- If you own a home, please bring proof of home ownership with you. Proof should be a mortgage coupon or tax bill which must have your name and address on it.
- After completion of an application, you are required to wait 24 hours, which allows us time to verify your information, and also provides you, the potential adopter, time to be sure you are ready to give the animal a permanent and loving home. During those 24 hours we check with your landlord/verify your home ownership and verify your vet records. *Please note: potential adopters with dogs will need to do a dog/dog meet or a dog/cat meet.
- You are required to call the shelter (262-677-4388) between 10am and Noon to verify that you have been approved – at that point you will set up an adoption appointment. Please keep in mind that the last scheduled adoption appointment is an hour prior to closing.
- After adoption we follow up on the animal to see if you have any questions or problems we can assist with.
If you have any questions please call 262-677-4388 or send an email to email@example.com
|Dogs||See cage card|
|Cats (under 2 years)||$99.26|
|Cats (over 2 years)||No charge|
|Male Rabbits (neutered)||$26.40|
|Female Rabbits (spayed)||$36.96|
|Common Birds||See cage card|
|Bearded Dragons||See cage card|
|Large Birds||See cage card|
|Rats, Hamsters, Gerbils, Mice||$7.39|
The mission of The Washington County Humane Society is to protect animals from suffering and cruelty, to provide care for animals afflicted by neglect and abandonment, and to enhance the lives of animals and people through education, adoption and compassion.
THE WASHINGTON COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY
3650 State Road 60 / Slinger, WI, 53086/ 262-677-4388 / Copyright ©2012. All Rights Reserved.
Inspected and licensed by the Dept. of Animal Health-DATCP. License #266935-DS.