Adopt a Pet
Our adoption process is designed to ensure we make the right match for the animals in our care and the people who are adding a new family member to their home. Prospective adopters meet with an adoption counselor and discuss their lifestyle and interests. The adoption counselor will then match that information with an animal’s social, exercise and training needs.
Each situation, adopter and animal requires a different approach. And while we reserve the right to deny an application, we make every effort to work with you to address concerns or find the most appropriate match for you. Please plan on spending approximately one hour for adoption counseling. We are confident that this small investment of time will be well worth the hours of enjoyment that your new family member will bring you.
Ready for adoption
- When you decide you are ready to adopt an animal from WCHS, and you are at least 18 years of age, the following takes place:
- Application – fill out an application in person, or download an application and email it, or bring it with you.
- After completion of an application, you are required to wait 24 hours, which allows us time to verify your information, and also provides you, the potential adopter, time to be sure you are ready to give the animal a permanent and loving home. During those 24 hours we check with your landlord/verify your home ownership and verify your vet records. *Please note: potential adopters with dogs will need to do a dog/dog meet or a dog/cat meet.
- You are required to call the shelter (262-677-4388) between 10am and Noon to verify that you have been approved – at that point you will set up an adoption appointment. Please keep in mind that the last scheduled adoption appointment is an hour prior to closing.
- After adoption we follow up on the animal to see if you have any questions or problems we can assist with.